Extraction of tooth is done when there is no other method to save the tooth. The tooth may have become damaged beyond repair either from extensive decay, trauma, or untreated periodontal disease. Gum diseases can cause a lot of damage to teeth and loosen them.
If a tooth has been damaged beyond repair, it is very important to extract it as soon as possible in order to avoid further complications.
Other reasons for tooth extraction can be
- Overcrowding of teeth – some people might have extra teeth, this will block other teeth from coming in
- Getting braces may require a tooth to be extracted to create room for the teeth that are being moved into place
- Sometimes baby teeth don’t fall out in time to allow the permanent teeth to come in, this requires tooth extraction
- People taking drugs for cancer, for example, may develop tooth infection and tooth removal would be needed
- Some would also need removal of wisdom tooth, this is required when it is infected or there is a cyst, or when they get stuck in the jaw and do not come out.
Facilities and care at our centre
At Coomera Dental Centre, our trained and skilled dentists understand the anxiety many people feel when they come for tooth extraction. We do our best to ensure that the whole process is as comfortable as possible. On the day of the procedure, we will gently explain how the procedure is carried out and advise you how to look after the area after the extraction.
Though tooth extraction can seem daunting, thanks to modern dentistry and advanced in anaesthesia and pain management, it is now a much more comfortable and predictable procedure.
When people come for regular dental check-ups and take necessary steps to keep teeth healthy, there should not be any need for tooth extraction. Any problems will be picked up before they get to a stage where you will need to get the tooth removed. But as mentioned before, if there is no other alternative then tooth removal is a must.
After extraction, the recovery usually takes a few days. Our dentists will provide you with medicine to reduce pain and discomfort and to speed up recovery. They will also provide you with tips to ease your pain and advice on how to take care of the sore area.